What is difference between HTTP & HTTPS ?
The full form of HTTP is Hyper Text Transfer Protocol . Its a protocol or rules which is used while presenting information or transferring data over a network.
Similarly the full form of HTTPS is Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure . Here HTTPS uses TLS or SSL to encrypt HTTP request & response. Here TLS & SSL is method to encrypt data over a network. As per OSI Model , HTTP & HTTPS is a layer 7 Protocol.
- TLS – Transport Layer Security.
- SSL – Security Socket Layer
Difference between HTTP & HTTPS.
- HTTP URL in your browser’s address bar is http://xyz.com and the HTTPS URL is https://xyz.com.
- HTTP is unsecured while HTTPS is secured.
- HTTP sends data over port 80 while HTTPS uses port 443.
- HTTP operates at application layer, while HTTPS operates at transport layer.
- No SSL certificates are required for HTTP. with HTTPS it is required that you have an SSL certificate and it is signed by a CA.
- HTTP doesn’t require domain validation, where as HTTPS requires at least domain validation and certain certificates even require legal document validation.
- No encryption in HTTP, with HTTPS the data is encrypted .
Thanks for reading.